Historical Sew Monthly – Red

I had to skip October’s Sew Monthly project, but I’m back for November!  And since this is Texas, we’ve got Dickens on the Strand coming up.  Technically, it’s supposed to be the time period Dickens was alive, but… yeah, nobody sticks to that.
I’ve got that lovely plaid 1880s dress from our tragically under-attended picnic I can wear.  Maybe not in exactly the same way, though, because I really wanted to make… this…
Isn’t it gorgeous?  I’m slightly obsessed with dolmans.  I mean, LOOK at this!  So simple, so elegant, so red.

Continue reading

Advertisements

Making a Hat From a Bigger Hat – 2

October was insane.  I had a two week extension on a deadline for a picnic dress, and I still almost didn’t get it done.  In fact, I probably wouldn’t have gone to the even at all, except I had a concert in Dallas the night before I was not going to miss.  All in all, the ensemble turned out nice:
The ins and outs of this dress were legion, so much so it killed most of my writing/blogging time over the past few months. The most I can say about it is… make sure you cut your skirt panels the right length for your height!
Anyway, it needed a hat.  A cool hat.  Something tall.  A nice late Victorian walking hat.
But I’m lazy.  And time-pressed.  And breaking out the buckram did not sound like fun.
So I tried something new, and it worked pretty well.  I also got more photos of this hat than the last one, so I think we can consider this a proper tutorial!  Best of all, it’s completely made with items you can buy at the big box stores.

Continue reading

Making a Hat From a Bigger Hat

When I started on my 1880s polonaise, I knew I needed a bonnet.  I also knew I didn’t have much time – two weeks is an eyeblink when you’re trying to deal with millinery.  I needed something fast, quick, and period appropriate, so I turned to the straw hat stash in the craft closet.  
 
(Yes, I have a straw hat stash.  For reasons exactly like this.  You never know when you’re going to need one!)
 
And it turned out pretty good!
 
 
Easy, fun, and period correct!  And the best part is, I did this without any special supplies at all.  Including the time it took to block and stiffen, this was a three day project (a day to block, a day to stiffen, and about six-seven hours to finish up). 
 
Below the break is a sort-of tutorial on how I made this bonnet.  I do apologize for the paucity of photos; I had very little time to get this done!